Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ombudsman revisited/Phillies day off

So people disagree with me on how I feel the new ombudsman at ESPN handled the Cowherd issue. No problem with that. 2 questions to any of you.

Should she have mentioned the fact that what he did was against the law? It's basically the cyberspace version of inciting a riot IMO. (Technical computer terms.... DoS or DNS attack, I'll stick to riot cause it sounds scarier than DoS, like a command prompt that shuts down your business)

Should she have mentioned that ESPN.com had NO mention on their own website other than her column about coverage of the issue, the same week that they completely over-covered the Imus comment that was said in jest?

I disagree with Imus, but his was joking, he even was laughing as he said it. I still think he should have been suspended like he was, but ESPN over-covers a comedic slur and don't mention at all a comment meant to ruin a business?

As an ombudsman, she addressed the issue, sure. But did she address it completely fairly? I still say no. She would not have any "power" to do anything about it, but mentioning all aspects is what I feel she's there for and open as many eyes as possible. Not just to mention the aspects that show ESPN is covering their ass as much as possible.

Anybody feel that Cowherd should not be suspended? Then the ombudsman did her job.
And I'd like to hear your argument for why he should not be suspended.

Last time I talk about this crap. A non-Phillies non-ombudsman post coming next. This blog needs more that ISN'T the Phillies, or it would be called a Phillies blog.

m8r

5 comments:

mcbolger said...

I think Cowher should be suspended/fired. I am no lawyer, so i don't know if or how illegal what he did is, but at the very least that's terrible business ethics.
What Imus did was make a joke. That's the nature of his program, he makes fun of people on a regular basis. His appology was more than enough. I don't even think he needed to do even that. I'm getting a little sick and tired of all these groups getting up in arms about the slightest offensive thing. They are killing the first ammendment. Imus did nothing illegal, and if it was wrong the man with the dump button should have dumped that out. They put radio on a delay for a reason. I'm really sick of Al Sharpton going on every goddamn tv and radio show as soon as someone makes any comment that he might find offensive. If what Don Imus said was libelous, that's one thing. If it's edgy and offensive and you don't like it, don't listen to it. I heard they are trying to get Imus fired. That is such bullshit. I might have more later.

Anonymous said...

I think we should make this an all-ombudsmen blog. What say you, gents?

m8r said...

I concur, any website with an ombudsmen should beware.
Something struck a chord in me with her post as being completely walking the company line, which in my opinion is exactly what she's paid not to do. But whatever, I'm done with it.
On a side note, Al Sharpton on the O'Riley factor completely ignoring O'Riley or whoever it is everytime he mentions Sharpton is going after the wrong person in Imus, instead should be going after Ludacris and 50 Cent for glorifying exactly what Imus is condemmed for. Literally laughing out loud watching it.

mcbolger said...

The reason, i think, that they are going after imus, is because they think they can win this one. If Al Sharpton were to do this shit to a record exec, i think the exec would laugh in his face. Rappers make too much money for other people to get anything more than a slap on the wrist.
What i want to know is, whatever happened to changing the channel if you don't like what's on?

Anonymous said...

I just found the website who discuss about
Several
home based business

If you want to know more here it is
home business opportunity
www.home-businessreviews.com