Friday, April 6, 2007

Falling back into baseball, part 2

So, basically hockey ruled with action, baseball bored with slowness. Hardcore sex vs. making love. Now that I'm older, I appreciate both again, just like I'm sure I would have appreciated both back then if I got either.

It's tough coming back around to baseball because I've basically missed 10+ years of the sport, and also that means that I'm 10+ years out of touch with the history of the sport. The shenanigans that they pull adjusting, wandering, scratching, nose picking, etc. between pitches adds to how tough it is to get back into the sport on a nightly basis. But then again, foreplay's not always my strong suit either. I like the action. I've come to terms with baseball now for what it is, something to watch on a nightly basis that is a step up from anything else on television that's not named Heroes, Jeopardy, or Wheel of Fortune, and it's right on the same level as Deal or No Deal (unless it's a Schrutebag contestant) and The Black Donnelly's.

The playoffs are another problem with baseball. Instead of being more interesting, they're actually less interesting because you get Joe Buck (hate him) the awful Fox broadcast, and the shenanigans between pitches are even more pronounced (they're allowed a little bit due to cold weather, I understand, but it's ridic.) Throw in the extended commercial breaks, the 14 pitching changes needed from the 5th inning til whenever the game ends, and the games drag on worse than a night at the bar when you realize after you're drunk, it's karaoke night. The playoffs are supposed to suck me in and make me want to watch, not drag out every tiny nuance that makes baseball a 3 hour game instead of a 2 hour game, now creating a 4 hour monster.

So, hockey, took me away from the sport, I aged a little, started coming back around to it, and now it's up to one simple fact if I'm going to be hooked into watching it on a nightly basis.....

Can the Phillies win a game?

No comments: